N. Thornton

Default Immersion heater - spot the problem

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message ...
"N. Thornton" wrote in message
m...

so the thermostat was shorted?

Regards, NT

I dunno, but I've got it here still. If I get a spare moment, I'l stick it
in a pan of water, bring to the boil, and watch how it's resistance
characteristic changes.

I was just impressed by how catastrophically the whole thing had failed.

The thermostat switches power to the heater off when teh water reaches
the desired temp. If the whole thing cooked itself to death then
almost certainly it was thermostat failure that caused it. If thats
whats happening, the solution is to replace the thermostat on the
tank.

The stat may come as part of the new element assembly, depending on
the design. If the element assembly has a temperature dial on it, and
you didnt remove that bit, it will now have a new thermostat already.

Regards, NT