Frank Boettcher

Default Unisaw Electrical Plug

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:05:45 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"Greg G." wrote in message

I'm surprised they use a NEMA 6-15P on a saw they rate at 18amps.

If I am not mistaken, the NEMA 6-15P plug is actually rated for 20 amps.

(Depending on which version of the "specs" you go by.)
They recommend a 20 amp breaker and 12g wire.
Either way, my outlets will accept either plug.

Unless things have changed drastically, based on what you say above, you
should be able to immediately 'plug and play' with a 3 HP Unisaw.

The 50" Beis fence sure would be nice, but man does it eat up real
estate. Since you have one, are the rails one piece, or can they be
shortened without a hacksaw?

I have the 52" Uni Fence (with an additional Uni-T-fence aftermarket face,
which I wouldn't trade for anything, that makes it _much_ more versatile
than a Beis). One of the best $80 I've ever spent and would do it again in a
heartbeat.

The Unifence only has one rail (front, with no back rail).

IMO, order the full monte then just cut off what you don't need. But you may
be surprised at what you can stuff in a two car 'shop'. My shop is only 18 x
18 and the table saw and my main work bench are dead center, both acting
like a combination large table/table saw with outfeed table.

I've always been glad I resisted the small shop mentality and decision to
not cut back. You can always trim the rail, fence and outfeed table to suit
your situation after the fact.

All the electrical stuff accurate. 3 HP comes with a NEMA 6-15 plug
and will work appropriately with a 20 AMP receptacle.

You can always get a 30" in either a Bies or a Unifence if you are
space constrained and don't want to fool with cutting off a rail.
Unifence has more neat features; Bies is a little tougher. Both great.

Frank