Steve Gontarek

Default Ceilings & Plasterboard

I have two choices re a lath & plaster ceiling (this is a bungalow, so
its only loft space above). The ceiling is pretty cracked (though it
has been repaired over the years)

1. Bring it down and reline with plasterboard directly onto joists
2. Leave original and put plasterboard on top (or rather under, if u
get my drift)

What's the concensus on each option ? What are the cons of option 2 ?

Also regarding option2, I feel it would be easier attaching battens
directly to the joists thru the lath & plaster, then fixing the
plasterboard to the battens, rather than trying to fix the
plasterboard directly to the joists (thru the lath & plaster).Anyone
see anything wrong with that ?

Ta
Steve