robo hippy

Default Coreing systems

Tom,
The McNaughton will work with the 12 inch lathes. It isn't as much a
question of horse power, but cutter size. How big of a kerf do you take
when you are hogging out material? There are 3 different knife sets.
The micro set (about 1/4 inch kerf) will work easily with your lathe as
it has the smallest cutterheads. The medium set of blades takes about a
1/2 inch kerf cut, and can work, but if you are aggressive with it, it
will stall your motor. On my PM 3520 with a 2 horse motor, I can make
the belt slip when I push it.I read that Oneway now makes a set for
their 12 inch lathe. One thing to make sure of is that the tool rest
will fit. I went to do a demo for the Salem, OR club and they have a 12
by 36 or so Oneway, and with the toolrest sitting all the way down on
the banjo, the cutter point was considerably above center. You most
likely can get almost all of the cores you want with the micro set
cutters. I almost never use the straight blades. On my PM 3520 I almost
never use the big set of blades. They are intended for bowls over 16
inches, and that seems to be more of a specialty market to me.
robo hippy