Lurch

Default Workshop Wiring - Prep work before Electrician

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 22:44:25 GMT, "jonni" strung
together this:

Dig a trench approx 600mm deep from house to workshop

Yep, 450mm -600mm will be ample. Common sense really is all that's
needed, if its going somewhere where it's unlikely that there'll be a
shovel being shoved in the ground then 450mm will suffice.

Order 25m of armoured cable (not sure which one?)

http://makeashorterlink.com/?H697242D8

It depends what size MCB it will be connected to at the house end, I'd
use the 4mm if it were me.

Order CU for workshop

These are cheaper and do the same job.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...46 0&id=63138

Order 3 of these

Yep, looking ok there.

Order this for workshop cabling

Nearly, you'll be wanting 1.0mm for the lights and 2.5mm for the
sockets. Might be cheaper for the electrician to supply this if you're
not going to need the whole lot.

Not sure which light fitting to use in a workshop?

Depends what you want, I'd use flourescent battens. Depending on the
layout I would conveniently site several smaller fittings rather than
a couple of large ones centrally.

Not sure what to protection to use for cable when underground?

None, SWA is perfectly fine for direct burial.

After all this I'm going to contact an electrician to quote me for
connecting it all up to the CU in the house! (there are some things I am not
prepared to do at this stage in my quest to learn all things DIY!!). I
expect people to say "let the electrician get all this for you" but I'd
rather do it myself (pun?) - I feel I'll learn more this way ;o)

Ah, in that case with regard to the internal cabling for the workshop
then you may be better of buying what you need by the metre from a diy
store, depends what the saving is between that and buying complete
drums from screrwfix. You could always give the excess from the drums
to the electrician in exchange for a couple of quid off the bill!
It's probably worth you calling the electrician first to see what size
MCB\fuse is going to be fitted at the house end to size the SWA for
the run to the workshop, although 4mm should be fine for what you will
need in there.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd