Jeff Wisnia

Default Is a pressurized air object heavier?

wrote:

Is a pressurized air object heavier?
In other words, is an object heavier when it contains compressed air
than when it's empty? For example, if I have a tire and weigh it
before pumping it full of air, will it be heavier after it's pumped
up? I say NO. A friend of mine insists it will be heavier once it's
filled with air. Who is right?

This is one of those fun topics that no one can agree on, and would
require a very accurrate scale that would most likely need to measure
down to the milligram.

Note: This would be regular compressed air from an air compressor, not
helium or another gas, which might make it lighter (even though I
highly doubt a tire full of air would float).

Mark

I suspect I've been trolled, as it's hard to believe that anyone with
enough neurons to be able to post a message to a newsgroup could be
naive enough to say NO to that question.

Jeeze, next you'll be asking if a shipping container with 200 canaries
in it weighs less if the birds are all flying around inside it than if
they're all standing on the floor.

Try something a little more interesting like the kid's helium balloon on
a string floating inside a schoolbus. Which way does it move when the
bus driver brakes quickly, forwards or backwards, and why?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)