Joseph Meehan

Default Is a pressurized air object heavier?

wrote:
Is a pressurized air object heavier?
In other words, is an object heavier when it contains compressed air
than when it's empty? For example, if I have a tire and weigh it
before pumping it full of air, will it be heavier after it's pumped
up? I say NO. A friend of mine insists it will be heavier once it's
filled with air. Who is right?

This is one of those fun topics that no one can agree on, and would
require a very accurrate scale that would most likely need to measure
down to the milligram.

Note: This would be regular compressed air from an air compressor, not
helium or another gas, which might make it lighter (even though I
highly doubt a tire full of air would float).

Mark

There is mass and weight. Adding more air will increase the total mass.
In the case of something like a tyre or steel container that will also
result in high pressure, it will also make it weigh more. That would apply
to any gas. However if you were to replace the contents of a sealed
container (like a tyre) currently filled with air with say hydrogen at the
same pressure, it will be lighter and have less mass.

In short, you are wrong.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit