Andy Baxter

Default Why aren't computer clocks as accurate as cheap quartz watches?

do_not_spam_me said:

Why do the battery powered clocks in personal computers tend to keep
worse time than quartz watches, even the $1 ones?

The computer batteries measure fine, at least 3.15V.

I thought that the problem was temperature swings in the computers
(25-38C), but a couple of cheapo watches taped inside the computers
kept better time.

Not an answer to your question, but if this is a problem for you and you
have a broadband or frequent dial-up connection, you can synchronise your
clock with a time server on the internet using a protocol called ntp.

--
http://www.niftybits.ukfsn.org/

remove 'n-u-l-l' to email me. html mail or attachments will go in the spam
bin unless notified with [html] or [attachment] in the subject line.