RichardS

Default Immersion heater - spot the problem

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
m...
"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message

Couple of weeks ago I got a phone call from our tenant who mentioned

that
there was no hot water - the flat has electric only, and all hot water
provided by an immersion heater in a direct tank.

They'd managed to leave the immersion switched on for about a day, and

it
had not only heated the 120l tank, but the large cold storage tank above

it
(I estimate it must be 250 or 300l at least) to a rather scary

temperature.
After that, they said it didn't do any better than lukewarm, and then

packed
up altogether.

Well, after spending couple of weeks phoning him to get access to the

flat
(suspect he'd been avoiding my calls, he owed us rent....) and sorted

the
problem out.

I'd been idly speculating upon what the problem might have been whilst
waiting to do the job, perhaps the thermostat had packed up, etc etc.
Heater was open circuit when tested, so drained the tank down and

whacked in
a replacement, no problems.

But, can anyone spot what could have been the problem with the

heater....

http://www.olifant.co.uk/Olifant/Pub...ks/RSAN-62XF2E

The immersion heater is now connected via a timer...!!!

so the thermostat was shorted?

Regards, NT

I dunno, but I've got it here still. If I get a spare moment, I'l stick it
in a pan of water, bring to the boil, and watch how it's resistance
characteristic changes.

I was just impressed by how catastrophically the whole thing had failed.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk