Default Sliding Table for Unisaw

Mike Pio wrote:
Do you have this one on the Unisaw? If so, did you need to modify the fence
system (or anything else on the saw) to install it? I went to the
manufacturer's web site. This table seems quite large. When not needed, is
it easy to remove and store? How long would you say it takes to re-install
and breakdown when not in use? Does it store flat?

I've got the 40" Excalibur sliding table on a Unisaw with a Unifence.
My first 'production' cut with the sliding table was to saw about 7"
off the left end of the Unifence front rail extrusion (using a
non-ferrous blade). I thought about redrilling the mounting holes and
sliding the front rail 7" to the right, but then it would have stuck
out from the end of the side table, and who needs 57" rip capacity
anyway?

The Excalibur table could come off easily, but unless you drilled and
put dowel pins in the joints it would require realignment when it got
put back on. Exactor makes a copy of the Excalibur table with a
special quick attach bracket that maintains alignment, and they
advertise you can put a matching bracket on your shaper to move the
table to it when you want.

If you did take it off, the legs unbolt and I think the table/rails
could probably store in a 6" wide space, but I've never tried this.

As another poster mentioned, however, when you're not using the sliding
function, just lock the table in place (it has a lock lever) and you
have a large flat table extension to the left of the blade. I've never
felt the need to remove the slider.

I work alone in my shop and I love the sliding table. You still have
to wrestle a sheet of plywood onto the saw, but you make perfect cuts
with fingertip pressure once you're there. I also find I don't use the
miter gauge very much anymore -- the sliding table is so convenient for
all but the littlest parts. I wouldn't give it up.

Good luck,

Tim