SteveB

Default Safe distance to watch arc welding

"Les" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there any rule of thumb on how close I can be and still safely watch
(not a casual glance) arc welding without any eye protection? Does
this distance vary by amperage or type (stick, wire, TIG, etc.)?

- les

You have to be close enough to see what's happening in the puddle to "watch"
arc welding. At that distance, you need eye protection. Any further away,
it is only a pretty blue arc, as you can't see what's being melted.

The sun is 93 million miles away, and looking at it directly for a few
seconds can damage your eyes. I would say that a couple of hundred yards
would tone down the intensity of an arc to the point where it won't make a
permanent white spot in your optical system.

Why mess with it? If you are interested, get a hood and get right in there.
Otherwise, look away.

A good work rule to remember is:

If you go blind, they send you home.

Steve