John Schmitt

Default Treadle Lathe

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:46:19 +0100, doozer
wrote:

Yep, in fact the project started out as a pole lathe since it is the
simplest to build but I am not keen on the reciprocating motion (if
reciprocating applies to things that spin as well as go backwards and
forwards).

That is the case. However I have seen footage of one in action and it
seems with a little practise, step down/tool in, step up/tool out becomes
almost automatic.

which is similar in most major respects. I think I can improve on the
treadle system and the tensioner in particular.

For simplicity a dead-weight tensioner might be the answer.

I haven't given the head and tail stock as much though as I would have
liked yet as I assumed (probably wrongly) that it wouldn't be that
difficult to put something together. A morse taper may be the way forward
though.

Tilgear do not appear to have a webpage, but they have all sorts of
goodies in the tooling line.

John Schmitt