Default Ho****er cylinder replacement & control upgrade - advice please

1tim23 wrote:
Wrote:

It suddenly started leaking near the IH boss for no apparent reason,
after not being touched for 9 years. A plumber took a look at it,
swapped the IH for a new one, found the leak was still there, then
pronounced that a new cylinder was required. The same thing happened
last time the cylinder had to be replaced, 9 years ago (but a different
plumber !). The story that plumber spun me was that if the cylinder
gets dented or stretched by over-tightening the IH, it forms a thin
point in the copper wall that is vulnerable to pin-hole corrosion. The
latest cylinder did indeed have a dent near the boss, as if the IH
spanner had pressed against it during tightening.

Don't know if any of this makes sense, but I want to avoid the same
fate for cylinder number 3.

Thanks for all the other advice.

I dont understand why youre going to the great trouble of replacing the
cylinder when all it needs is soldering or gluing. They key in both
cases is to get the hole spotlessly clean. Then either solder it, or
use high temp epoxy available at car accessory places. With epoxy, use
a good overlap for grip strength.

NT