Kyle Boatright

Default Water Damage

My parents (in their 70's) have found a house they are considering
purchasing as a replacement for their current house which is far too much
house for them going forward. The *new* house is perfect in every way,
except that it suffered a serious flood in the basement recently. Apparently
a washing machine hose failed when the owner was out of town. Anyway, the
finished basement was flooded to 2' or 3' deep, immersing the heater, A/C
coil, water heaters, soaking the walls, and making a mess of everything else
in the basement.

I'm going to tour/examine this house this weekend. I can do plumbing,
roofing, sheetrock, electrical etc., but I've never dealt with serious water
damage.

Obviously, the systems will need to be replaced, as will outlets and any
submerged electrical connections. Also, I figure any sheetrock in the
basement will need to be torn out and replaced. One of the things I'll look
for is to see if mold and/or mildew has spread beyond the areas that were
soaked.

What else should I look for?

For what it is worth, the house is on the market at a serious discount
versus similar houses in the neighborhood that don't have flood damage. I've
advised my parents that whatever they save if they purchase the house, they
should expect to put that money right back into repairs. I.E. there is no
free lunch.

Thanks in advance...

KB