JoeSixPack

Default Backfeed generator through dryer outlet?

wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 11:31:38 -0600, "Jim & Lil"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

I had asked this hypothetical question a few years ago and glad you
mentioned the flames...LOL...Cause I sure got my fair share of those
asking
that question.. One thing that was constructive in my replies is that even
with your main braker shut off, you may be still feeding power down the
line
via the neutral wire....another constructive reply was to also ask in
alt.energy.homepower They are a very knowledgable group... Hope that was
of some help.... Jim

I'd like an explanation of how you could feed power down line thru the
neutral?

If the neutral isn't properly grounded at the service tap, it is forced back
up the line to the next good grounding point. Not a serious danger unless
people or equipment are connected in parallel to this defacto circuit. I
think it's possible that someone in an adjacent residence could be at risk
of getting a shock by being connected to both a good ground and the ground
terminal of an outlet, if the resistence to ground is greater at their
junction box. An example might be having one hand on a water tap and the
other on the metal case of an appliance with a 3-prong plug, and feeling a
tingle of current that originated from your neighbor's generator.