George E. Cawthon

Default shut off water while on vacation

Mike wrote:
We're are leaving home soon for a one week vacation. I plan to shut off
the main water supply and gas water heater. (We recently had a leak in
the pipe leading to the water heater. So I want to be safe).

Somebody also suggested that I open a hot and cold water faucet (after
shutting things off) and drain to release some pressuse in the system .
But I was also told that do this way it may create some vacuum in the
pipe system that might damage the pipes.

My questions:
1) Is it okay to just turn off the water supply and water heater
without releasing the pressure?
2) If not, is the vacuum a concern?

I searched the group and couldn't find a complete answer. Help will be
appreciated.

You had a leak in the water pipe or the gas pipe
to the water heater? Fixed? if so, don't worry
about it. Not fixed worry. If you turn off the
water or the gas, turn them off to the whole
house, not just a part.

You can open a tap after turning the water vale
off to release the pressure, but is certainly
isn't necessary.

The idea about a vacuum and possible damage to the
water pipes is beyond ridiculous. First, if the
shutoff is off, there is no way to produce a
vacuum in the pipe. Second, if the shutoff is off
and a tap is open, a vacuum cannot be produce.
And, third and most importantly, a vacuum that
would damage the water pipes cannot be developed
by any natural means. If you have a truck pull
up, and plumbers hop out and do some plumbing and
then they hook up a multi thousand dollar vacuum
pump, they might be able to cause some damage.