John

Default Wooden Lathe Stand

Greg,
If you can get you hands on Shop Notes issue #10 there is a nice stand that
should be solid enough to keep vibration to a minimum. It also has two
drawers for accessories and an optional tool rack.

John

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Greg G." wrote in message

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has tried building a wooden midi-lathe
stand such as this? I own a Jet midi-lathe (the popular 10" swing
model) with bed extension, and considering how... err... lightweight
the Jet accessory stand is, I would like to try this instead.

Constructed of SYP, it is 52" long, 32" tall - this puts the spindle
centerline right at my elbow. The major members are 3 1/4" x 2 3/4".
The 'bed' is 3 1/4" x 8 1/4" x 52" and quite substantial. Dowels,
screws and carriage bolts fasten it together. It is/will be quite
heavy! (I've already constructed the 'bed' and leg assemblies.)
The lathe will, of course, be bolted to the 'bed'.

This is a picture of the general concept:

http://www.thevideodoc.com/Images/LatheStandP01.jpg

Use sheet goods rather than construction lumber. Glued and properly
supported, your stand will have none of the problems that flex against
fasteners can cause, nor will differential wood movement creep and crack
the cross-grain glue joints. It's rigidity you're looking for, and your
stand is designed for load bearing. You also get the benefit of good
weight on 3/4 chipboard construction.

Bring the end trapezoids on your sheet goods out 1/2 larger (or more)
than the throw of the lathe - 15" for your mini - to provide a broad
footprint to resist out-of-balance conditions. No need to splay them in
the long dimension, as there is no longitudinal force to counter.

My shop is small, so rather than build a storage center for sandbags, I
used my stand to store other things. It's against the wall because I
don't turn from the rear, and the wall now supports tools and deflects
shavings. Drawers under the bed are full of lathe stuff, and the shelf
underneath is loaded with my tailed hand tools. The shelf itself is
actually a 4" deep box which can accept sandbags, while still providing an
even shelf surface.