Steve W.

Default Car Body Sheetmetal-Old Leadwork Geezer Needed

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Steve W. wrote:
... Don't use
propane for heating because it puts a LOT of water onto the parts

and
can cause rust under the lead when it is trapped in a seam. ...

Hmmm ... how can (liquid) water exist on a part that's hot enough to
melt lead? Bob

The problem is the entire panel is not that hot. As you heat the area to
be leaded you have areas close by that are not hot enough to evaporate
the water. With Propane you get a LOT of water vapor that condenses onto
those areas and causes problems. When I do lead I use the A/O torch to
heat fast and smaller areas which cuts down on warpage and makes for
less metal working.

As far as it being an old wives tale about propane not leaving a lot of
water in the air. I have seen it cause rust in shops where it was used
in an open heater. Just because of the excess water vapor in the air.