Dave Liquorice

Default High Humidity - Problem?

On 16 Jul 2004 05:13:58 -0700, John Flynn wrote:

The fact that 8 litres of water is being extracted also leads me to
think there is a problem. Should I expect this amount of water in a
normal house?

Two adults and a baby will produce an appreciable amount of water
vapour purely from respiration (breathing), more if they are rather
too warm and thus perspiring as well. I'm not sure of the exact
figures but a pint/hr for an adult would not surprise me (google?). So
to pull figures from nowhere inparticular half of that 8l could well
from the occupants.

Where is the bathroom? Ours has no ventilation and condensation on the
windows of the bedroom along a short corridor is a problem. Even at
this time of year there will be signs on the windows after anyone has
a bath, though not streaming like they do in the winter.

The reason that I bought the dehumidifier was there is a general
dampness problem in the house.

Real or percieved? Has the house central heating, ours does and sits
at around 30% or lower in the winter but rises in the summer when the
heating doesn't kick in, currently 60%. So 75% for an occupied house
without CH is not out of order for this time of year.

A dehumidifier isn't really the answer, you need to cure the sources
of moisture, ventilation in bathrooms and kitchens, pervention of
penetrating or (rarely) rising damp.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail