zxcvbob

Default Backfeed generator through dryer outlet?

wrote:
Let me start by saying I know this is very dangerous and I don't plan
on doing it (I have a new generator and new uninstalled transfer
switch) so save your flames. I plan on installing my transfer switch
when I get some time in the next month or two.

I read a post suggesting that in a power outage, you could flip your
main breaker off to prevent anything going to the lines and killing a
line worker, and use a suicide cord from your generator to you clothes
dryer outlet (240 vac) and then your main panel would serve as your
switch for what circuits are using the generator--and that this would
power both 240 and 120 outlets.

As dangerous as this is, is this even possible?

I would do it in an emergency if there was an extended power outage, but
I'd probably pull the electric meter first to make absolutely sure I
wasn't backfeeding the power lines.

Yeah, I know about breaking the seal on the meter, but ya gotta do what
ya gotta do if it's really an emergency.

-Bob