Joshua Putnam

Default shut off water while on vacation

In article .com,
says...

Somebody also suggested that I open a hot and cold water faucet (after
shutting things off) and drain to release some pressuse in the system .
But I was also told that do this way it may create some vacuum in the
pipe system that might damage the pipes.

Draining household pipes shouldn't damage them -- it's a normal thing
to do with unoccupied homes in below-freezing climates, and it's how
you get air back into water-hammer arrestors.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/