gb

Default Old components - worth anything?

" B Stanton wrote in message
I've inherited my grandfather's shop, and there are boxes of
old components, from transistors in metal cans to rolls of
cotton insulated wire and capacitors that look like wax
sealed rolls of paper and foil. Little to none of it is
actually "new," it's mostly removed from older equipment.
There are also rectifiers that look like multiple square
pieces of metal separated by some rectifying material.

Is any of this worth anything? I'd like to junk anything
without value, but not if it's useful. Do people repair
older equipment with this stuff for "authenticity?" Not
many tubes in the collection. Comments are welcome.

Yes, rec.antiques.radio+phone IS the correct group for this posting.

The cloth covered wire is used by some restorers of 1930s; 1940s radios
(authentic, look for restorations).

The transistors may be of value - especially if they are no longer available
(1950s and 1960s transistor radio restorers).

In any event do NOT chuck to the garbage. Find a bright young mind (high
school) that is interested in electronics -- and needs his first "junk box
of components -- there is at least one in every neighborhood

gb