Unquestionably Confused

Default 6" jointer/planer question

on 10/27/2005 11:34 AM tom said the following:
Upon investigation, the X5 comes with a 5 year warrantee, versus the
"professional's" standard 2 year warrantee. The blades on the DeWalt
735 are disposable, while the 733's are resharpenable. That was enough
for me to forgo the "upgrade".

When I was looking at the DeWalts (fell into a deal for a Delta so I'm
out of the market for now) one of the things I was told was that with
the replacable blade (and I THINK this was on the 734 and not the 735)
the slots in the blade allow for sideways movement which is great.

It's all well and good to have the holes register the blades precisely
when reinstalling but... The beauty of the longitudal slot is that you
can shift one or more blades minutely in the horizontal plane to remove
evidence of a nicked blade edge.

As for the 733/734 vs 735... the price differential between the blades
for the 733 and those for the 734 & 735 is not all that much when you
consider you're getting an extra blade and two sharp edges. I've heard
that unless you were planing some old pallets or reclaimed wood with
nails in it you can touch up those disposable blades. Then too I would
consider the dual speed and the three blades with the 734/735 and the
resultant quality of the finish before making my selection.

Unless the deal was a great one on the 733 or 734, I think I'd be
tempted to go with the 735 when it's on sale. Haven't heard a bad thing
about it yet.

I just wish I could remember which one of the units (734 or 735) allowed
for the lateral movement of the blade. I seem to think it was the 734
which I thought rather odd. Why not put it on all or, if not, include
that feature on the top end model?