Carl

Default New insulation installed over existing - vapor barrier question

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:17:51 -0700, "Bob"
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...
The vapor barrier should be on the heated side. I doubt the paper foil will
remove very easily. So, if the foil is on the heated side, it should be OK.
If the foil is on the cold side, then the insulation can get cold, and
condense the moisture from the indoor air.

If the vapor barrier will have insulation below it, I would strongly disagree.

I sharp thin bladed long knife will quickly strip the barrier off. I would use an old butcher knife and hit it with a
steel frequently.

Bob

I don't see the original post. there is an exception to the rule .
"So, if the foil is on the heated side, it should be OK." In a
basement, where the walls are cool but not freezing, I recommend vapor
barrier on the cool side.

Basement walls weep moisture. You can have a mildew and mold buildup
in the wall if the basement is finished and IF THE VAPOR BARRIER IS ON
THE WARMSIDE.

That wall has to breath... it can't if the vapor barrier is on the
warmside of the insulation to the concrete wall.