George

Default fan between floors to circulate heat from fireplace

wrote:
I got a split level with a very good fireplace insert on the bottom
floor (believe me when I say that it's BTUs are sufficient to heat the
whole house - if I could only get it circulated around the house).
When I crank up the fireplace in the den, the den gets very toasty and
the upstairs stays very cold. Yes, I know that I could turn on just
the fan of my central heat, but that seems a little silly to suck hot
air from the house to the outside unit and then back (probably a good
40 feet round trip) just to circulate the air. This is especially a
bad idea due to the minimum insulation in the area where the air
reverses course (at the heat exchanger on the outside unit) Yes, I
also am well aware that heat rises and should just "naturally" go up
the stairs, but the den would be melting before that type of heat
exchange happens to a sufficient level to heat the upstairs. All I
need is a small squirrel cage fan (i.e., quiet) that is made to fit
between the ceiling and the floor. Bathroom fans are typically too
noisey. Anyone know where I can get this beast?

Thanks.

Any type of opening between floors is an opportunity for flame/smoke
spread. Putting a fan in an opening will accelerate the spread.