James Sweet

Default Good source of CCFL tubes for LCD

webpa wrote:
Have done several IBM, Dell, etc notebooks and HP NBs and desk-tops.
In general, try replacing the tube(s) first; only if a new tube doesn't
work should you replace the inverter. Also in general, you will need
patience and a good loupe to identify how things are assembled. Double
sided tape and hot melt glue (or something similar...I've heard it
called "Panda snot") are very popular for assembling displays; there
are rarely more than 2 or 4 screws anywhere. I've also found that any
CCFL tube that physically fits will usually work just fine...an "exact"
replacement is not necessary. However, if you don't find an exact
replacement tube, the display may end up with a slight overall color
cast.

I'll add that before you go through the trouble to replace the tube,
wire up the new one to the inverter and turn it on to make sure it
lights, no point in taking the effort to dissasemble the display if it's
not the problem.

If you can find one with a 6500K color temperature then the color should
be fine.