James Sweet

Default Coil beyond repair?

Christian Treldal wrote:
Den Thu, 27 Oct 2005 08:16:04 +0000. skrev Rikard Bosnjakovic:

I know it is difficult to give a clear opinion only by looking, but what
would be your guess? Could it be only the coil that's toasted, or could it
be any more components? If the latter, how can I find out if that's the case?

Before you change the coil you shoud concider to replace all the
electrotytics, they seems to be bulky and leaking. Dead electrolytics are
a likely reason for the high current drawn. The coil are only for noise
reduction purposes, You can replace it with a jumper or any other coil
with the same wire gauge.

The coil may well be quite critical if it's part of the buck regulator
used to supply power to the CPU, it's only a few turns but they often
run at 500KHz so you don't need many.