James Sweet

Default Coil beyond repair?

Rikard Bosnjakovic wrote:
I have a motherboard with a slightly "roasted" coil that I'm interested
in knowing if it is possible to replace and make the board work again.

Have a look at these two images:

http://www.meradan.se/albums/album45/IMG_2210.sized.jpg (component side)
http://www.meradan.se/albums/album45/IMG_2211.sized.jpg (solder side)

I know it is difficult to give a clear opinion only by looking, but what
would be your guess? Could it be only the coil that's toasted, or could
it be any more components? If the latter, how can I find out if that's
the case?

You can rewind it, but you'll have to replace all those bulging
capacitors first and clean up the leaky electrolyte, that was probably
the original problem. Likely you'll have at least one shorted mosfet too
which burned up the coil.