BillW50

Default Why aren't computer clocks as accurate as cheap quartz watches?

ups.com...
Date: 26 Oct 2005 15:03:04 -0700

Why do the battery powered clocks in personal computers tend to keep
worse time than quartz watches, even the $1 ones?

The computer batteries measure fine, at least 3.15V.

I thought that the problem was temperature swings in the computers
(25-38C), but a couple of cheapo watches taped inside the computers
kept better time.

Not one single person has mentioned that their computer keeps great
time. My first personal computer was back in '81 and it didn't even
sport a clock. Today I have collected about 16 computers (most of them
are in the closet). But the majority of them keeps very good time. Some
haven't been fired up in years, and it is really rare to find one off
more than 5 minutes. So I am at least one user who has been quite
happy with my computer clocks.

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000