default

Default Coil beyond repair?

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 08:16:04 GMT, Rikard Bosnjakovic
wrote:

I have a motherboard with a slightly "roasted" coil that I'm interested in
knowing if it is possible to replace and make the board work again.

Have a look at these two images:

http://www.meradan.se/albums/album45/IMG_2210.sized.jpg (component side)
http://www.meradan.se/albums/album45/IMG_2211.sized.jpg (solder side)

I know it is difficult to give a clear opinion only by looking, but what
would be your guess? Could it be only the coil that's toasted, or could it
be any more components? If the latter, how can I find out if that's the case?

There has got to be more bad than just the coil. Like the other
responder suggests check the electrolytic's for shorts or replace
them. Looks like you may have some collateral damage to the nearby
connector.

That gray fuzzy lint-like stuff splattered around the heatsink, looks
like the remains of an electrolytic cap that tried for a sub orbital
launch. Look for a missing component labeled C something, and the
aluminum can and rubber plug. The leads may or may not be still on
the board somewhere.

For a coil of that gauge wire to burn you pulled some very heavy
current. Likely as not, through a very large board trace to a
regulator or filter cap which is the initial problem.

Motherboards are multi layer boards with perhaps as many as 5 layers
of traces between the two surfaces you can see. There may be damage
that will not be evident that will be near impossible to repair. I'd
look for the obvious stuff and replace it if it's easy to do, but I
wouldn't make a career out of trying to fix that board . . .

Look for a shorted power diode, capacitor, regulator IC. That choke
will need to be replaced also - it looks like it may be cracked and
that would alter (lower) the inductance dramatically. It is probably
part of a boost or buck voltage converter. It is also close to big
IC's (processor?) with heatsinks - those may also be the root cause.