doozer

Default Treadle Lathe

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:15:31 +0100, Norman Billingham wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

John Schmitt wrote:
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:22:51 +0100, doozer
wrote:

My latest project is to build a foot powered wood working lathe but
there
are a few points that I am having trouble with design wise and I would
appreciate some advice.

Have you thought about a spring pole lathe? Far simpler to make, although
the action is intermittent.

Doesn't have to be intermittent if you incorporate a flywheel. Bike
transmission could be good - you'd have a freewheel and gears for
different diameter turnings

If you can find it, the US magazine "Fine Woodworkig" had a design some
years ago that used a bicycle chain from the treadle to drive a bicycle
sprocket and gearbox coupled to the flywheel. The freewheel allows the
treadle to return on the upstroke while the flywheel (and the work) carries
on forward.

Now that is a good, no great, idea. I had thought about using a bike
transmission because I liked the thought that I could have various power
settings but I dismissed the idea because it would mean a) sitting down
and pedaling while working and b) I couldn't see a way to move the pedals
so that I could work on large objects. With a chain attached front and
back to the tredle board looped over a freewheel it's problem solved. As
you suggest I could even have a Derailer system in there for variable
power. In fact thinking about it I might as well just fit a whole bike
transmission system to the treadle board.

Thanks for that. If you have any more thoughts on this idea I would like
to hear them

Graham

--
..¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ http://www.shallowsea.com ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`