Jim Yanik

Default Armor Glass on Replacement Windows -- does it work?

"SQLit" wrote in news

"Andrew" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am replacing windows that currently have metal bars on them to
prevent break-ins (necessary in my neighborhood). A window guy that
is giving me an estimate on the job suggested that if I use Armor
Glass, I will not need the bars.

1) Is this true? Is Armor glass as safe as metal bars?
2) He is asking an additional $140 per window (2 windows are 24 X 36,
the other two are 66 X 34). Is this a reasonable cost?
3) How will the Armor glass affect the Visible Tranmittance (the
amount of light coming through). Most of the windows that I have
been looking at have a VT of between .5 and .6. Is Armor glass
significantly lower?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andrew

Your joking right?

Glass vs steel bars that is a tough one. Any type of glass even
bullet resistant which this is probably not, can break. All your
really doing is slowing down the thief. At least with bars on the
windows the bad guys can see them.

I will guess your google is busted again

http://www.regencywindow.com/featuredproduct.asp

Bad thing about burglar bars is that they often trap the occupants inside
if a fire occurs,and it's also sad that one has to barricade ones self in
to retain their possessions or stay safe(er).

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik