Greg G.

Default Wooden Lathe Stand

Owen Lowe said:

In article ,
Greg wrote:

Constructed of SYP, it is 52" long, 32" tall - this puts the spindle
centerline right at my elbow. The major members are 3 1/4" x 2 3/4".
This is a picture of the general concept:

http://www.thevideodoc.com/Images/LatheStandP01.jpg

That's a nice looking stand. As far as sizing the length, I'd recommend
placing the left side of the lathe about 1' from the left end of the
stand. That way you won't be kicking or straddling the left leg. It also
gives a small area to act as a temporary shelf for a chuck, sand paper
or part to a turning.

Thanks, Owen! Actually, my complete plan includes a lipped shelf for
chucks and such on the head-end, slightly lower than the bed, and a
sloping shelf (with back) below the bed for tools currently in use, so
that they don't roll onto the floor.

I built the Tiedman stand for my Delta midi. It's certainly not very
pretty but it's worked very well for all my turning.

http://www.kestrelcreek.com/toc.htm?id=19&cat=tech

Neat Stand, and it looks heavy, but unfortunately, I need to be able
to move mine around without a fork lift... ;-)

Here's another idea that you might review for further ideas and
considerations:

http://www.kestrelcreek.com/toc.htm?id=2&cat=photo%20tech

That's a nice looking stand/cabinet, but a bit complicated for my
needs. I'm certain the wood in it cost more than my lathe... ;-)

Thanks,
Greg

Greg G.