Mike in Arkansas

Default A Little Dab will Do Ya? Use More Only if I Dare?

So, what look are you aiming for, Mike?

I was trying for that dark golden craftsman style finish. I'm not
using quarter sawn for testing because I didn't have any. Saw an
antique craftsman style mirror frame I have kinda reproduced in flat
sawn oak as a precursor to making a final one is QS. Wanted to
experiment a bit with scrap even though the frame is a test piece. So
far my better half hasn't been thrilled with the look. "Not golden
enough" she says and I guess I agree. It's kind of a flat brown dull
finish even when carried through to final waxing. I'm doing something
wrong, household ammonia isn't sufficient, or flat sawn oak doesn't
provide a suitable surface for fuming. In addition, one side of one of
the samples didn't darken at all, even after extended time in the fume
box. Its opposite side darkened fine. Multiple painted on applications
of tea and then liquid ammonia is gradually having an effect. The tea
provides tannic acid, something this particular piece of oak was
evidently lacking. Wether it was the growth age of the wood or the way
it was cut, I have no idea. It looked pretty much the same as the
other samples and the samples all came from one board. The board was
sanded to 120 grit before being cut into samples 8 x 2 x 1/2