Brian Lawson

Default Making Square holes for pickets in top rail of fence

On 26 Oct 2005 13:01:15 -0700, wrote:

I am looking to build my own "wrought iron" fence. I have a welder
friend that will help me assemble.

The design I was thinking was a basic flat top rail with square holes
so that the pickets come through the top rail 4 inches.

The pickets would be 5/8 inch squares and the top rail should be 1/2"
thick. So I need to be able to make a 5/8" x 5/8" square hole in 1/2
in inch steel.

What is the best way to do that, considering I need to make about 100
holes in 25 feet of steel.

I was going to hire the fence building work out but I am getting prices
in the $75 a linar foot range for this fence and figure I could it for
a lot cheaper.

Hey td,

You can buy the "fancy" picket tops separately. Then just drill holes
on spacing in the top rail (WOW!! 1/2" is pretty thick, but hey....),
turn the end of the shaft to the hole size for a length to suit, and
set the "top" pieces on and spot. Gives you good alignment, and no
special tools needed. Wow!! 1/2"... No wonder the prices are $75
per foot.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.