Weatherlawyer

Default DIY roof mount wind power? anyone?

Nick wrote:
"news" wrote in message
Rick wrote:
On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:19:19 GMT, "news" wrote:

Rick wrote:
On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:01:21 GMT, "Jim" Jim
wrote:

http://www.bwea.com/pdf/mid%20wales%20microwind.pdf

There are a couple of commercial windpower systems (i.e windsave)

http://www.energytech.co.uk/Windsave%20040205.pdf

So for £1000 capital outlay and a further £1000 for the inverter (£2000) he
produces some 600 KwH per year at say 7p per KwH which is £42 worth of
electricity a year which is only (2000/42) 47 YEARS to just break even,
assuming no maintenance and other problems..... He will probably die
before breaking even, especially if he falls off the ladder installing it.

Is it any wonder why there is not a rush to
do this on economic grounds ?

About the best I have seen are geothermal systems for house heating, but
even this has ongoing maintenance issues, a long break even time and a
requirement for at least a largish plot of land to dig trenches into for the
collectors, or a bore hole...
However, it is a lot closer to being viable in the nearer future...

There was an item on the beeb about it today.

At present professional installations are way over th hoped for
eventual cost of them if we all splurge. In which case it would be
worth while if you lived in a suitable area:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...0cce4b38999b96