Stormin Mormon

Default New insulation installed over existing - vapor barrier question

The vapor barrier should be on the heated side. I doubt the paper foil will
remove very easily. So, if the foil is on the heated side, it should be OK.
If the foil is on the cold side, then the insulation can get cold, and
condense the moisture from the indoor air.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi and thanks for your help.

I live in Ohio, and this past weekend I installed fiberglass insulation
over top of some (about 2-3 inches) of blown in insulation. The
mistake I made was not removing the paper backing vapor barrier. Well,
actually the first mistake I made was not reading about how to do it
prior to actually doing it; but that's another issue. Anyway, damage
done. My question: is it sufficient to simply go back and cut some
holes in the back of the strips (each strip was 24" X 48") of
insulation, or do I need to completely remove the paper backing?

Thanks
Doug