James Sweet

Default GE Drier timer repair

Mike Berger wrote:
If you're replacing the entire timing module, it's a very
easy repair.

FearlessFerret wrote:

This is not strictly speaking electronics, but it should be a a piece
of cake. Let me know if there is a more appropriate forum.

I have a GE drier model DDC0580BBLWH drier whose timer is not
advancing. My wife set the thing up one evening and the next morning
I found it still running--I don't think this is areal good safety-wise.

I assume that if I get a replacement timer module it should be fairly
simple to hook it up, but it's not worth my time if the job isn't a
slam-dunk. What I want to know is are there any tricks to this that
would make the job more complicated than it should be because if so
I'll just pay to have it done.

/ff

I had this exact same problem on my ancient GE dryer. A bit of checking
revealed that the clock motor winding was open. I looked around and a
new timer was around $100 so I ended up very carefully disassembling the
motor (hacksaw surgery) until I got to the bobbin with the coil on it,
then I unwound many feet of tiny wire until it was empty. The smallest
magnet wire I had was considerably larger than the original so I wound
on as much as would fit, then connected it to a little 7.5v transformer
from a scrapped clock radio instead of the 120v it was originally made
for and found that it ran perfectly. Let it run for several hours to
make sure nothing was getting particularly warm then carefully put it
all back together and epoxied it closed. Given that it's still running
great over a year later I think it was well worth the 2 or 3 hours it
took me to fix it.