Dave Hinz

Default Spot the Babin...gagegageman?

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 19:34:32 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

snip

Trust your instincts. I built my feedback rating up by selling low-ish
value items at great prices. I'm at 70 or so, 120 transactions or so,
100% positive. I prefer to buy from people with 3 or 4 digit ratings,
but that 100% means a lot.

I used to think that the 100% meant a great deal, but I've revised my
opinion now. I got screwed when I bought an industrial toaster from
someone with about a 250 rating and 100% positive (the seller was
"paulandsara" and I am "cdt22" for anyone wondering).

....and then you failed to leave negative feedback to warn the rest of us
away from him. So you are, I'm sorry, but as much at fault as every
other person he screwed who didn't warn _you_ away from him.

I was tempted to buy another cheap item
from them just so I could leave a negative, but never did.

You had a long time to neg him for the actual transaction that was a
problem, but you didn't.

On the other hand, I bought from a guy recently who had quite a few
negatives. I almost didn't buy because of them, but decided to risk it
as he was the only one selling the goods. He was great to deal with;
friendly, helpful, knew his goods and sent them quickly. I guess
sometimes sellers are unlucky and get negatives from crazy people.

Sure, you have to read the feedback of someone who negs them, to see
what _their_ feedback is like. "consider the source" and all that.

I think there is some degree of "feedback extortion" which goes on. If
buyer feedback didn't exist (and it's certainly less important than
seller feedback) people would be more willing to leave neutral and
negative feedback. In my opinion this would be a good thing.

Am I going to neg the guy in Switzerland who shows all appearances of
weaseling out on this liquid nitrogen dewar? Hell yes. The sellers
have less choice in the matter, but that doesn't mean the buyers'
ratings aren't important to them. For you to claim that feedback
doesn't mean much, and then to yourself contribute to it not meaning
much by not negging someone who deserved it, is a bit over the top,
don't you think?