Christopher Tidy

Default Using a hole saw in a magnetic drilling machine

Hi all,

I talked to a guy this morning who suggested using a hole saw in a
magnetic drilling machine. I need to cut some round holes between 2" and
3" diameter in 1/4" mild steel plate. The guy said I should be okay
buying a smaller drilling machine with a broach capacity of 32 mm and
using a hole saw to cut larger holes in 1/4" plate, rather than spending
more on a big machine. I assume the saw arbor is held in a Jacob's chuck
adaptor. Does anyone have experience of doing this? Does it work okay?
Thoughts would be appreciated...

Best wishes,

Chris