Andrew

Default Armor Glass on Replacement Windows -- does it work?

I am replacing windows that currently have metal bars on them to
prevent break-ins (necessary in my neighborhood). A window guy that is
giving me an estimate on the job suggested that if I use Armor Glass, I
will not need the bars.

1) Is this true? Is Armor glass as safe as metal bars?
2) He is asking an additional $140 per window (2 windows are 24 X 36,
the other two are 66 X 34). Is this a reasonable cost?
3) How will the Armor glass affect the Visible Tranmittance (the amount
of light coming through). Most of the windows that I have been looking
at have a VT of between .5 and .6. Is Armor glass significantly lower?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andrew