Ranieri

Default Gel-Staining HELP!

"bby" wrote in message
.. .
I have a few brand new "wood-grain look" fiberglass doors that we want
to gel-stained to preserve a wood-type look. I am not a trades guy,
but am pretty handy. Did cedar siding with someone last week and can
pretty much get the hang of most things quickly.

However, I've been hesitant to gel-stain the doors myself as i've
heard that it can be tricky.

The gel stain seems to leave a little more residual product on the surface
than regular oil Minwax-type stains. Make sure to wipe it off in the
direction of the simulated grain. Leaving a streaky stain residue is easy to
do with with gel stain and it looks terrible. Do a test in the bottom corner
to make sure you like what you see.

As for the edges, assuming the door opens in, the jamb side and the exterior
should be the same color - the lock side and the interior should be the same
color.