Bud--

Default Pulling large wire in conduit

DaveC wrote:

I can picture how to set up the wires (separate loops on the floor) for
feeding in the initial pull. This will avoid cross-overs. But if you need to
do more than one pull (via inspection L's), how do you avoid a similar tangle
in the successive pulls? Is this automatically avoided by making your first
pull organized?

If you are using cut lengths of wire on the initial pull, as SQLit said
lay the wire out straight on the floor. Someone feeds the wire in
maintaining an 'orientation'.

If I was pulling out of an elbow then feeding back in the other side, I
would usually pull out enough wire for the rest of the run then feed it
into the other side of the elbow. It may be easier if the wires are
taped periodically in the right 'orientation' as they are pulled out of
the elbow (keeps the 'orientation' and is less mess on the floor). It is
typically easiest to feed wire into the back entry of an elbow. If the
pulling rope stays connected to the wire (that is the 'orientation'
stays the same at the end of wires) you probably can just feed the wires
into the other side of the elbow but you have to get the 'rotation' of
the wire bundle right (or close). Correct the 'rotation' as you pull the
wires so when the wires are tight at the elbow the wire that is at the
back of the elbow is the same coming in and going out. Especially if you
are using pulling lubricant the floor has to be very clean.

If I was starting in the center and pulling both ways, after pulling one
side, I might start at the elbow and temporarily tape the wires in the
right 'orientation' every 3' or so. Then attach the pulling rope with
the wires in the right 'orientation'. Feed the wires in the other side,
preferrably the back side, as above. But remove the tape first so 1 wire
can be pulled at a time to get the wires tight into the elbow as
described before.

bud--