John Harshman

Default Some Thought On Intelligent Design

Mike Marlow wrote:

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
ups.com...

A massive failure of the science education in the lower grades, I'd
say, largely thanks to the True Believers who can't tell the difference
between fact supported scientific theory (they always, or almost
always, founder on the word "theory") and religious belief.

I generally like your posts Charlie but this is a rub. Go ahead and take a
shot at those with a belief that differs from yours, if that's what makes
you feel fulfilled, but it's just a shot. The fact (a word that those who
enjoy deriding others with a belief love to use...) of the matter is that
there is no "fact" which unsubstantiated a creation or ID. Science does not
pretend to have any such fact.

That depends on what you mean by "creation" and "ID". Science can
certainly falsify (quite easily) the notion that species were created
separately, or that phyla were created separately in the Cambrian
explosion, and that sort of thing. If, on the other hand, you suppose
that god intervened at various points during evolution to introduce
crucial new mutations, there is nothing to falsify that.

There is no "fact supported by scientific
theory". That, all by itself is a contradiction. Your belief may differ
from mine and others like me, but your belief is equally unproven -
substantiated only by "scientific theory". My point - you suffer the same
condition as those who you deride simply because you dislike their choice of
faith.