EdFielder

Default R8 Taper Dimensions

The standard size for the groove should be 0.060- you will find that some
imported mills will have a key made for a deeper groove and in some cases a
wider groove as well.
"Rich Osman N1OZ" wrote in message
I bought a cheap R8 collet for use in my neighbor's equally cheap
vertical mill. Surprise of the ages, it doesn't fit. I'm trying to
figure out whether the issue is collet or the mill. The problem seems
to be the groove depth. The tooling that came with the mill has a groove
that is 0.104" deep where as the collet has a groove 0.060" deep. The
collet groove is slightly wider, by less than half a thou.

What's correct? I Googled "R8 dimensions" (and standard, and drawing,
and every other combination I can think of) without luck. I'll RTFM if
I can find TFM.

Oz

--
Rich Osman, N1OZ
Rich Osman; POB 93167; Southlake, TX 76092 (Near DFW Airport)