Charlie Self

Default Some Thought On Intelligent Design

John Shakespeare wrote:
Fletis Humplebacker wrote:

[snip: long discourse between John Harshman (as Salviati) and Fletis
Humplebacker (as Simplicio), in which Simplicio keeps demanding and
ignoring evidence, and contributes little more than empty sophistry.]

Evolution is subject to interpretation, so is religion, including
Christianity. But no Christian would attribute life to natural causes.

Utterly wrong.

Catholics are permitted to do so, and they constitute about half of
Christians today. I refer you to the encyclical of Pope Pius XII in 1950
(Humani Generis), and to Pope John Paul II's address to the Pontifical
Academy of Sciences on 22 October 1996 on the origin of life and
evolution. Neither of these popes saw any conflict between evolution
(including of humans) and their particular dogma. They considered only
what they termed the "soul" - whatever that might be - to have been
definitely created; all else is in the realm of science.

FWIW, rejection of evolution is widespread only in parts of the US,
particularly those with recently evolved (but fairly primitive)
religions. In the rest of the world, ID and creationism and their
adherents are rarities which are viewed with incredulity.

While I think IDism and Creationism are both laughable, evidently many
more in this country don't share my ideas. A recent poll showed that
about 51% of U.S. citizens (I have no idea at all what the poll
parameters were)did NOT believe in evolution.

A massive failure of the science education in the lower grades, I'd
say, largely thanks to the True Believers who can't tell the difference
between fact supported scientific theory (they always, or almost
always, founder on the word "theory") and religious belief.