Trekking Tom

Default Gas or Electric?

or electric?

Is gas considered enough of a hazard to where it's best to avoid it if
at all possible? Can multiple electric appliances require an update of
the fuse panel to something higher (i.e. from 100 or 130 to 200A)?

Thanks for any replies.

You sound like we have almost identical situations. We are also in SE
WI, just moved into a 40 year old house with propane and ho****er
boiler, water heater and gas stove & dryer. I been fixing up older
homes for 25 years, this setup I consider is the best. Ho****er heat
is much more comfortable than hot air. So you will be able to turn the
stat down a little. With propane you have to find the right supplier,
some of the robbers out there drive propane trucks. We switch
suppliers after the supplier the former owners had quoted a price of
1.64 for a gallon ( in august) I called around and found no one else
that high. I settled for a supplier that gave me a very good quote and
a prebuy, So I bought all of my propane in August and they will come
and filled when needed.

Now the boiler, since it is not my first one I prefer to have a
standing pilot, reason being the pilot will provide a slight amount of
heat during summer which will keep the cast iron boiler from rusting
away. It also pays to learn how to maintain your boiler or pay someone
to do it annually. I dissemble the burners remove the chimney pipe,
then with a boiler brush ( a long round wire brush with a wire handle)
which you snake around between the sections to remove the scale
thereby increasing the heat transfer. The vac everything up and put it
back together. I've check into replacing my original to the house
boiler but I can't figure a decent payback. Take the input BTU
subtract the output BTU and you can figure what EFU precentage you
boiler is, my came back at 80%. I might have a vent damper install to
lessen the off cycle loss up the chimney. ( like the new one have)
A new boiler almost the same I was quoted $3500, for a high eff. one I
was quote $7500.

I'll keep this one until it no longer works and work on plugging the
heat leaks of the house to save on heat bills. Ho****er heat if you
can do it where you're at is the easiest to adapt one of those other
side wood heaters. They are costly also but if you can find the wood
for free or cheap nice heat no mess in the house.

Good luck

Tom