Greg O

Default Attic fan for vent a hood

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a commercial range - 185k BTU. I'm having a hard time finding a
hood vent that handles 1600 CFM. I found a 1600 attic fan at home
depot that costs $79. I was thinking of buying a nice stainless steel
hood and running 6" or 8" ducting from the hood, through the attic and
through the roof. Can I use the attic fan as an inline fan for the
hood vent, or is there some kind of special grease management used in
the vents you buy with hood vents?

Thanks.

Bad idea!
First an attic fan is not designed for this use. Second, if it was 8" duct
will not flow 1600 CFM with that type of fan.
How many fans do you want? Send me a CC number, I'll get you a fan!
Do you really need 1600 CFM?? What climate are you in? That 1600 CFM being
pulled out of the house needs to be replaced somehow! You will have air
drawn through every crack and opening in the house with the fan running.
Fireplaces, chimneys, water heater venting all will be flowing air the wrong
way bring exhaust fumes into the home when the hood fan is running! In the
heat of summer you will be bringing in hot humid air, winter, cold dry air.
1600 CFM of out door air at 80-90F will require somewhere around 8 tons of
cooling to keep up!
If you plan on running this hood allot, you have more problems than finding
a fan!!
Greg
Greg