Mark & Juanita

Default How tight should drawers fit?

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 20:09:14 -0400, "Thomas Bunetta"
wrote:

"Mark Wells" wrote in message
roups.com...
I am confused about how tightly a drawer should fit. My recollection
of the Frank Klausz video is that he made them fit very tightly. He
would size the front and back to fit exactly and then once he assembled
the drawer, would plane it a little to make it fit. However, I'm
concerned the the wood will move, particularly in the height (depth of
a the drawer), and make the drawer too tight. Of course if you make
the drawer too short, it will tip out easily. Any advice out there?

I made a small chest of drawers for the shop and fit them as Klausz
suggested and they seem to work pretty well in all seasons, although
some are a little tight. My next project is a large chest of drawers
and I want the drawers to work well.

Mark

Until your voice rises, and your vision blurs... then wear the next size
larger.
Sorry, couldn't resist... GD&R

Somebody had to say it. ;-) Gotta admit, that was kind of my first
thought also. I like the way you think. G

Tom