Default Unknown electrics

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Martin Pentreath wrote:
Anyway, she evidently doesn't have a standard ring main. Rather than
finding the two cables I was hoping for going into the socket, there is
only one. The outer sheath has been cut back so far that I can't see
it. The three cores (?) are stranded, but are substantially thicker
than the usual 2.5mm twin and earth

If all the conductors are stranded likely 7/0.29 which was 'ring' cable
before metric. It's usually tin plated, so doesn't look like copper. The
L&N will have seven strands, the earth three. Would date back to the early
'70s at best.

Yes, i've got some of that in my 1950's house, and some earthless grey
twin core on the upstairs lights.

Thankfully someone knowledgeable has already had a stab at most of the
ring mains before I got to them, as they're all modern wiring.

Cheers

Paul.